Cabochon stone setting workshop - May 2019
Time and location
About the event
Cabochon gemstones are characterised by a domed top and a flat base. Prior to the 16th century, nearly all gemstones used in jewellery making were shaped and polished into cabochons rather than faceted stones. More recently, cabochons have once again emerged as a popular choice in contemporary jewellery design.
In this step-by-step workshop, I'll show you how to create a bezel setting for a cabochon gemstone, then we'll solder it onto a ring shank and finally set the stone. You'll have a choice of different shaped cabochons as well as embossing and texturing techniques to achieve the look you want. And, if you already have a cabochon you'd like to use in the workshop, please feel free to bring it along.
Please note: You must have some previous silversmithing experience to enrol in this workshop. If you have completed one of our ring making or bangle making workshops, then you're good to go!
What the day includes :
- Whole day workshop from 10am – 4pm
- Lunch and refreshments throughout the day
- All tools, equipment and materials including a gemstone and silver
- A clean, contemporary work space to create your sterling silver rings
- Personalised instruction from an experienced jewellery designer
- A complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate your creations!
What you will learn and create :
- How to fabricate a bezel setting for different shaped stones
- How to attach your bezel to a ring shank and set a cabochon stone
- How to personalise your design through embossing and texture
- A unique learning experience that will stay with you forever!
What you should wear and bring with you:
- Please wear casual, comfortable clothes and closed-toe shoes
- Your hands will get dirty, so please don't wear anything too precious
- If you have long hair, please wear it in a pony tail or a bun, and
- We’ll be doing detailed work, so please bring your reading glasses.
About your tutor, Zvoni Hodak
Zvoni’s passion for making jewellery began in her early 20’s in Melbourne while working as a studio assistant for a renowned fashion jewellery designer. She later designed her own range and stocked several small boutiques as well as retail outlets like Saba. Then, following a career in business consulting in Canberra, Zvoni returned to jewellery design in 2011. More recently, she has focused her practice on silversmithing, combining both traditional and contemporary fabrication techniques to produce elegant, modern designs. Setting up the Bowral studio and workshop allows her to teach others these wonderful artisan skills, while continuing to create her own jewellery.
Just add this item to your cart and, once processed, you will receive an email confirmation of your order containing all the relevant contact details, times and location. Et voila, it's as easy as that! Hope to see you at the workshop!
What if I can't attend after booking?
We understand that life can get in the way and plans can change. If you need to reschedule, we can provide 100% credit towards another workshop if you contact us 7 or more days prior to the workshop date. Less than 3 days notice and we can provide 50% credit towards another workshop. Unfortunately, we can't provide any refunds or credits if you cancel on the day of the workshop.
And if in the unlikely event that we need to reschedule the workshop, you will be offered either a full refund or 100% credit towards another workshop.
- Sold OutWorkshop booking$265$2650$0