Silver leaf bookmark workshop - May 2019
Time and location
About the event
Would you like to try your hand at silversmithing? Are you a bit of a bookworm? Then this workshop is for you!
The oldest existing bookmark dates from the 6th century AD and was made of decorated leather lined with vellum on the back. Today, bookmarks come in countless designs and are made of many different materials. In this step-by-step workshop, I’ll walk you through the process of designing and making a beautifully embossed bookmark in sterling silver. We'll cover off some of the most fundamental techniques used in silversmithing with an emphasis on saw-piercing, filing, sanding and finishing.
What the day includes:
- Half-day workshop from 10am – 2pm
- Light refreshments including tea, coffee and pastries
- Personalised instruction from an experienced silversmith
- All tools, equipment and materials including sterling silver
- A clean, contemporary work space to create your silver bookmark
What you will learn and create:
- How to fabricate a precious metal bookmark
- How to emboss a natural leaf skeleton into your bookmark
- How to finish your bookmark to a professional standard
- A unique learning experience that will stay with you forever!
What you should wear and bring with you:
- Please wear casual, comfortable clothes and closed-toe shoes
- Don't wear anything too precious as your hands will get dirty, and
- We’ll be doing detailed work, so please bring your reading glasses.
About your tutor, Zvoni Hodak
Zvoni’s passion for making jewellery began in her early 20’s in Melbourne while working as a studio assistant for a renowned fashion jewellery designer. She later designed her own range and stocked several small boutiques as well as retail outlets like Saba. Then, following a career in business consulting in Canberra, Zvoni returned to jewellery design in 2011. More recently, she has focused her practice on silversmithing, combining both traditional and contemporary fabrication techniques to produce elegant, modern designs. Setting up the Bowral studio and workshop allows her to teach others these wonderful artisan skills, while continuing to create her own jewellery.
Just add this item to your cart and, once processed, you will receive an email confirmation of your order containing all the relevant contact details, times and location. Et voila, it's as easy as that! Hope to see you at the workshop!
What if I can't attend after booking?
We understand that life can get in the way and plans can change. If you need to reschedule, we can provide 100% credit towards another workshop if you contact us 7 or more days prior to the workshop date. Less than 3 days notice and we can provide 50% credit towards another workshop. Unfortunately, we can't provide any refunds or credits if you cancel on the day of the workshop.
And if in the unlikely event that we need to reschedule the workshop, you will be offered either a full refund or 100% credit towards another workshop.
- Workshop booking$165$1650$0